- Indian Cooking
- Fried Snacks
3/4 cup Split green gram skinless (dhuli moong dal)
1/4 cup Split black gram skinless (dhuli urad dal)
2 tablespoons Split Bengal gram (chana dal)
1/2 teaspoon Green chilli paste
2 1/2 cups Yogurt, whisked, chilled
1/2 teaspoon Rock salt (sendha namak)
1/2 cup Tamarind chutney
1/2 cup Green chutney
1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
1 teaspoon Roasted cumin powder
Oil - to deep fry
Salt - to taste
1. Soak gram(dal) for three to four hours. Drain and grind, using very little water, to a slightly coarse paste.
2. Add salt and green chilli paste and mix well with hands to make a well blended and fluffy mixture.
3. Put chilled yogurt into a muslin cloth and gather the edges together. Gently squeeze to get smooth yogurt out into a bowl.Heat sufficient oil in a kadai. Drop spoonfuls of batter into the oil or drop small portions of the batter into the oil using fingers. Deep fry till golden in color.
4. Add salt and black salt to yogurt and mix well.
5. Drain the vada(bhalla) and soak in lukewarm water for two to three minutes. Take the vada(bhalla) out of the water and squeeze out excess water and then soak them in the yogurt.
6. Drizzle tamarind chutney, green chutney, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder and Dahi Vada (Bhalla) are ready to serve.
Provide your feedback for Dhahi Vada(Bhalla) recipe page